Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Internet and the Outdoors. Merging Two Worlds Together

Outdoor education has always been a passion of mine. That being said, I have always been interested in communication and the internet. In my "about me" bio I mention the fact that I am an Environmental Studies major and Digital Tech and Emerging Media and I'm trying to merge the two worlds together. When I first arrived at college I knew I was interested in communication studies but I had actually forgotten about my passion about the environment. I'm a huge fan of YouTube videos and one I found actually reminded me of the time when I was reminded of my passions. 



Growing up going outside and interacting with my environment was extremely important to my childhood. As I got older my interest developed more and going outdoors was more than just a past time for myself. However when I decided to go to school in the Bronx a location where being outdoors and enjoying nature is not very common, I found myself falling away from what I enjoyed. It was not until I found the Fordham Outdoors Club that I was reminded of my old passions.

I applied to be on the G-Board for the Outdoors Club in September of my Sophomore year. After an application and interview I was accepted! I began going to meetings and became close with the rest of the board. I was still undeclared at the time and it was a brief conversation with the President that pushed me to take the leap to joining the Environmental Studies major. At the time I was very conflicted because I still cared about communications but I also realized I had to follow passions of mine. 

So I decided to combine the two worlds. Although the seem extremely different, that being the outdoors and digital media, I think there are more connections than people think.

I'd like to think that because of the world we live in the outdoors can benefit greatly from the internet and what it can offer. Below is just a small sampling of what I have found offered that benefits the outdoors online

1. National Park Engagement on social media has increased. This year specifically I saw a lot of tweets from the National Parks Service which was something I had never seen.  

2. A widespread outcry and need for traveling and "wanderlust" on social media platforms for individuals. I see posts all the time on instagram and facebook of wonderfully beautiful places to visit which can inspire others to visit new and unique places!

 I see the internet and even this blog as a way to get the word out to people about the environment. I consider my blog and the blogs of others to be a catalyst to how through online media we can spread the word about what we are passionate about. I've spent most of my summer writing this blog about my experiences in the outdoors in order to get the word out. Through my work on my blog and speaking to my co-workers at camp, I have found that the internet and blogging is truly a great way to expand information about this particular topic. Friends that I see everyday at summer camp and at work have asked for the URL to my blog to read what I write on the topic. They are truly interested in the blogs that exist on this topic. 

To conclude, my passions have always been related to the outdoors. But one of my favorite things about passions is getting to share it with other people. Through blogging, online interactions, websites and other digital medias, these passions can be spread far and wide and reach a larger audience and make a bigger impact. 

Happy Trails!
Daisy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Internet and the Outdoors. Merging Two Worlds Together

Outdoor education has always been a passion of mine. That being said, I have always been interested in communication and the internet. In my...